When evaluating various protein supplements for the expansion of both human mononuclear and hematopoietic stem cells, I found that a combination of InVitria’s Cellastim and Optiferrin significantly outperformed the best non-recombinant proteins It’s clear to me that these recombinant components can enable the development of superior animal-free expansion media for stem cell applications.
Paul Price, CSO, D-Finitive Cell Technologies
Stem and primary cells have many uses, but they are not usually easy cells to maintain or grow. They are generally grown in medium containing fetal bovine serum (FBS), bovine serum albumin (BSA), human serum albumin (HSA), or knock-out serum replacement (KSR).
Some scientists avoid animal or human-derived components in cell culture media due to problems with variability, risk of infection, morphology alterations and differentiation. Research for regenerative medicine and transplantation is too important to let these problems continue. InVitria’s cell culture supplements, Cellastim (recombinant human albumin), Lacromin (recombinant human lactoferrin) and Optiferrin (recombinant human transferrin) have shown to optimize stem cell culture by improving performance and reducing the regulatory and safety risks.
Advantages to using InVitria’s products Cellastim, Lacromin and Optiferrin instead of animal-derived components in stem cell culture medium:
- Eliminates animal-derived additives-safe and regulatory friendly
- Proven effective in enhancing stem cell growth inembryonic, mesenchymal, neural, cardiac, liver, kidney, osteoblast, keratinocyte and fibroblast stem cell lines
- Maintains stem cells in an undifferentiated state
- Eliminates coating of culture plates for adherent cell lines
- Provides well-defined and consistent stem cell medium
- Cell Culture Media Optimization: Making the perfect magical potion
- Planting the seed: plant-based biologics for the expansion of therapeutic stem cells
Recombinant human albumin – Promotes stem cell growth comparable to FBS while being consistent and animal-free.
Recombinant human lactoferrin – Multi-functional growth factor providing unique benefits for stem cell research.
Recombinant human transferrin – Animal Free and defined source of transferrin for optimal cell growth and productivity.
Recombinant insulin and transferrin cell culture media supplement formulated with selenium and ethanolamine for improved cell growth and productivity. Animal component free.